Bixby Neighbors was started by Mary Loos in 2016 with Best Version Media as the publisher. Best Version Media started over ten years ago and now has over 25 local magazines in southern California alone. Together they have circulated over 3,800 magazines through out the Bixby Knolls community.
Mary graduated from Michigan State with a Bachelor’s in International Business. Before Mary created Bixby Neighbors, she worked for the Spanish Newspaper La Opinion as director of their website and later as Vice President of La Opinion’s new media. As a world traveler, web blogger, and journalist she decided to settle down in California with her husband, who is a marine biologist, and three kids to focus on her writing for her local community.
Mary’s talk gave insight into how Bixby Neighbors benefits the community and enable their readers to relate to the people in the magazine.
Please see the video below.
We are going to all Zoom Meetings from now until further notice.
Remember to invite guests to keep our membership continually growing! I will be asking all of you information on Potential members.
We have 4 people nominated to take 3 places on the Board of Directors: Nathan Whittacre, Vinny Bunting, Hugh Wolf, Dave Sakamoto.
Please stay safe and follow sanitary protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We will continue to use Zoom for your weekly meetings going forward.
Our website has been updated to send leads in real time. Click on the the "Got Leads?" button the the top right of the Execs website. Click who the lead is going to and your name and a message.
1st Classification Postings:
2nd Classification Postings:
Welcome New Members:
Welcome Joseph Paguio as an affiliate member under the open classification of Photographer.
Other Membership News:
When you refer a new member, you can have a choice in one of two options
1. Have your dues waived for one quarter.
2. Have your dues, as well as the new members dues cut in half for one quarter.
New member has to be in good standing for the first 6 months to receive the promotion.
We have introduced a new type of membership.
Dues are $150 per quarter
Pays $50 initiation fee to cover badge and T-shirt expense
Pays $18 for lunch at each meeting attended
May give and receive leads and give classification talks
No attendance requirement; may attend showcase and special events
Entitled to any open classification; no exclusive classification entitlement
Listed in roster and on web as affiliate member – classification and name only
Not a voting member and not board eligible
One-year limit as affiliate member; must become an executive member thereafter
Classification of the Month:
Board Meeting Minutes:
EXECUTIVES ASSOCIATION OF LONG BEACH
December Meeting Agenda
December 9th, 2020
Location: VIA Zoom
11:00 AM J. Beeler ROLL CALL
PRESENT: _x_J. Beeler (P) _x_ E. Speier (VP) _x_ T. DiLeo (S/T)
H. Desh _x__ M. Loos _x J. Skovgard __ J. Sawday (PP)
Others: S. Caudillo (Executive Director) ___
11:00 AM J. Beeler MINUTES
· Motion to approve minutes from November Board Meeting?
· Motion: E. Speier 2nd: M. Loos Discussion. All in favor? 5 Any Opposed? 0 Motion Passes
11:05 AM T. DiLeo FINANCIAL REPORTS
· Motion to receive and file the financial reports for November?
· Motion: T. DiLeo 2nd: J. Beeler Discussion. All in favor? 5 Any Opposed? 0 Motion Passes
· Budget report for next year?
11:15 AM E. Speier MEMBERSHIP
· No new memberships at this time.
· Will be pushing for new members in the coming weeks
· Looking to create a Non-Profit membership. It would mimic the Affiliate membership without an expiration date. Could open the door for new membership with Non-Profit businesses.
· Motion to create a motion to make a new membership level nonprofit?
· Want more information before making a motion to approve.
· Attendance requirement for next year?
· Waived until 2nd quarter.
11:20 AM TBD BUSINESS PROMOTION
· The Committee is on hold until we can meet again.
11:25 AM J. Beeler / S. Caudillo OLD & NEW BUSINESS
· Would like to give Steven Caudillo a holiday bonus of $1500.
· Motion to approve holiday bonus?
· Motion: T. DiLeo 2nd: E. Speier Discussion. All in favor? 7 Any Opposed? 0 Motion Passes
· Dave Sakamoto, Nathan Whittacre and Vinny Bunting have accepted their board nominations. Waiting for other replies.
· San Fernando and Orange County boards have asked if we would like to collaborate. Even if we have overlapping classifications, they would like to know more about our members so they could refer business to them if they do not service in the area.
· A bylaws committee comprised of Jennifer Sawday, Jack Skovgard, Eric Bloomer, and Lori VandenBerg to review all of the bylaws and make any necessary amendments or repel of the bylaws.
11:30 AM J. Beeler GOOD OF THE ASSOCIATION
· Comments from each member on their current evaluation of the state of the EALB.
· The next board meeting is January 11th at 11:30.