Mary is married to her husband Mark and they have two children, Zoe and Shane. They live and work in Long Beach and are all about the community which led her to start Bixby Neighbors magazine. Prior to starting her own publication Mary was a world traveler who speaks fluent Spanish and upon moving to California work at the Spanish newspaper La Opinion.
Mary has her MBA and was very interested in technology and websites when they were just emerging. Ultimately the long hours, commute and frequently flying amounted to too much time away from her kids and her community so she start Bixby Neighbors magazine which is a hyper local commit magazine that is mailed to homeowners in the Bixby Knolls community of Long Beach.
She calls her magazine Facebook in print. Each issue has a family in Bixby Knolls featured on the cover and all her advertisers are local businesses that are encourage to add their photo to their ads to keep it personal. Advertisers have exclusivity over their category ( for example there is only one Orthodontist allowed to advertise at a time).
Bixby Neighbors is all about integrity, community, branding local businesses and customer service. A good lead for Mary is a local service provider that is looking to advertise to homeowners in the Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach. Bixby Neighbors is a high quality, printed magazine that is mailed directly to 3,800 homeowners in Bixby Knolls.
Please contact Mary Loos if you are interested in advertising or know of a family to recommend for the cover.
Remember to invite guests to keep our membership continually growing!
1st Classification Postings:
2nd Classification Postings:
Welcome New Members:
Welcome Mary Loos of Bixby Neighbors in the classification of Magazine: Bixby Knolls.
Other Membership News:
Frank Messano of Dilday & Associates has gone into abeyance after Jack's passing in accordance with our bylaws. We look forward to his return in a month.
Classification of the Month:
Featured Classification for December:
Traveling? Call Pat Ellington for toady's hot deals.
PGA West La Quinta Condo. Call Jim Nesmith for details (562) 900-2230.
Board Meeting Minutes:
EXECUTIVES ASSOCIATION OF LONG BEACH
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
December 11, 2017 – 1:30pm | Board Meeting
Location: Jim Choura’s Board Room
1:15 PM M. THOMPSON OPEN MEETING
PRESENT: __x_M. Thompson (P) __x__K. Gragson (VP) __x__J. Sawday (S/T)
____ R. Deeble __x__S. Williams __x__ V. Bunting __x_ J. Beeler __x_T. Di Leo ___J. Choura (PP)
Others: K. Sherrill (Executive Director) __x__
1:15 PM M. THOMPSON MINUTES
- Motion to approve minutes from the November 2017 Board Meeting
- Motion: J. Beeler 2nd: T. DiLeo Discussion. All in favor? 7 Any Opposed? None. Motion Carries.
1:35 PM J. SAWDAY FINANCIAL REPORTS
- Motion to receive and file the financial reports for November 2017
- Motion: S. Williams 2nd: K. Gragson Discussion. All in favor? 7 Any Opposed? No. Motion Carries.
1:40 PM J. SAWDAY MEMBERSHIP
- Frank Messano is still very busy with his task at hand and would like to revisit submitting his application in January.
- John Berg’s guest Hugh Wolf of Speed Pro Imaging is interested in joining in January.
- Marni Spencer-Devlin had resigned and this is her last quarter with the Execs. Her letter is attached. Work has picked up and she can no longer attend meetings.
- Bob Hegedus is having surgery on his knees and would like a leave of absence from Execs to recover.
- Motion to allow Bob Hegedus a quarter-long absence from Execs to recover without having his attendance negatively impacted. He will still be required to pay dues because he will still be listed in the buyers guide and on the EALB website to receive leads from other members.
- Motion: J. Beeler 2nd: V. Bunting Discussion. All in favor? 7 Any Opposed? None. Motion Carries.
1:45 PM K. GRAGSON BUSINESS PROMOTION
- Committee report. Do you have a date for the event? No. Will have a set date by January.
- Christmas Dinner at the Long Beach Yacht Club was very nice with great music and lots of networking prior to dinner. The attendance was low but otherwise a great event. Thank you to Machelle for hosting us and to all the board members who paid for table wine sponsorships. It made the night very relaxed and fun. Dr. Hryniewicki also offered to be a table sponsor which was very much appreciated.
- It was brought up that the past presidents were not mentioned at the dinner. We announce those at the President’s Installation. There was no agenda for the Christmas Dinner because it was meet to be a fun evening of camaraderie and celebration. The board members were announced mostly due to the fact that most of them were table sponsors who helped pay for the wine. The feedback from those who attended to K. Sherrill were all very positive. Most of the people providing feedback liked that it was a simplified evening without the gift baskets and such. Having it be the first event of the holiday season was also appreciated by many.
1:50 PM M. THOMPSON OLD & NEW BUSINESS
- Each member give their feedback.
- S. Williams reminded us (thank you Scott) that we need to appoint a nominating committee to create the list of new directors for the board by January 1st.
- Motion to create a nominating committee of Jeff Parry, Tom Shilton and Pat Ellington for the 2018 board of directors.
- Motion: J. Sawday 2nd: M. Thompson Discussion. All in favor? 7 Any opposed? No. Motion Carries.
- Good potential new board members: Corey Vane, Kimberly Rodgers, Dr. Desh, Elizabeth Riley.
1:55 PM M. THOMPSON GOOD OF THE ASSOCIATION
- The Next Board meeting is on Monday, January 8th at The Grand at 1:30pm.
2:00 PM M. THOMPSON ADJOURN